Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Wonderful World of Watermelons

A group of us ladies from church helped cut up watermelon for a thing that was going on at the hospital. I asked if I could have the rind for pickled watermelon rind and watermelon jelly. They were so willing to give it to me. What a treat!!! So I've been making the pickled rind for two days now. Thank goodness I have had the kids to help me or I would still be cutting up watermelon. The jelly was the easiest to do and get done with right away. But I'm making two different kinds of pickled rinds. The first one, that I finished today, uses a pre-mixed pickling spice bag for Bread and Butter pickles that all I had to do was mix it with vinegar and sugar to make the syrup and I was done. When I boiled the rind I added green food coloring to make it look more pickly. The batch that I will finish in the morning will be made with the candy "red hots" and so I will dye them red. With the extra pickling syrup I'm going to make a garden variety sweet relish. That will be very yummy!!! I am having so much fun with it that I can hardly stand myself at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment